- Patients under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Patients who are unable to legally sign for themselves must be accompanied by their power of attorney.
- Please bring with you to your appointment:
- Any x-rays your dentist may have given you.
- The referral slip your dentist gave you.
- The completed forms in this information packet.
- Your insurance cards.
- If you take blood pressure, heart or seizure medications please take them at the time you normally would. If you are having a general anesthesia take your medication with just a sip of water.
- Wear comfortable clothing with loose or short sleeves.
- If you do not speak fluent English, please be sure to have a translator with you.
Be Prepared After Surgery
You will want to apply ice to the surgical site. Frozen gel packs or frozen peas in Ziplock bags work well for this. Cool clear liquids are good when you first return home.
If You Are Having General Anesthesia
The guidelines regarding when to stop eating or drinking are extremely important. We will be unable to provide you with a general anesthetic unless your stomach is empty of food and liquids. A patient with a full stomach may vomit while asleep and the stomach contents may go into the lungs. This could be a life-threatening situation. We intend to provide you with a safe anesthetic and depend on you to help us do that by carefully following these guidelines.
- Morning Patients
- Absolutely Nothing to eat (including gum, candy, life savers, cough drops, etc.) or drink (including water) after midnight the night before your appointment.
- Patients Scheduled at 12:00 or Later
- No solid food (including gum, candy, life savers, cough drops, etc.) after midnight prior to your scheduled appointment.
- You may continue to have water only up to three (3) hours before surgery.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you for at least four hours after anesthesia.
- No public transportation will be permitted.
- If you use an inhaler for asthma please bring it with you.
- Do not smoke the day of surgery.